How to Market CBD on Facebook
There are only two fully compliant and sustainable ways to market and advertise CBD on Facebook. The first method restricts your brand to a single product category and the second method restricts your brand to engagement that is not yet ready to buy your CBD products.
For those of you who are willing to take on the risk of having your Facebook account permanently banned, then we have a secret method to circumvent the Facebook Ad Guidelines. Be warned that we do not recommend circumventing Facebook Marketing Guidelines because the risk is too high for the short-term reward. Nevertheless, continue reading to find out how to market CBD on Facebook.
Does Facebook Marketing Work to Advertise CBD?
Outside of Facebook advertising, you can start a Facebook Page, Facebook Group, or Facebook account where you can do Facebook marketing to promote CBD. However, there are some restrictions set forth by Facebook on what you can and cannot say when marketing CBD products on their platform.
Which CBD Products are Allowed in Facebook Advertising?
- No risk of your CBD brand being permanently banned from advertising on Facebook.
- Facebook engagement directly converts to new revenue for your CBD ecommerce company.
- You can mention CBD in your ads if you are talking about topical CBD. This allows you to build trust with your ideal customer. Normally you are not allowed to use the words “CBD” or “hemp” anywhere in your ads, or your ads will be taken down, and your account is at risk of being banned.
- Your brand is limited to an audience that only uses topical CBD, and you are not allowed to promote any other products that contain CBD, which limits your revenue growth long-term on Facebook.
- To run compliant ads on Facebook for topical CBD, you must create a new advertising website that only has topical CBD and talks about topical CBD. If you talk about any other types of products that contain CBD, then your ads will be taken down, and your account may be permanently banned from Facebook marketing.
Why Can You Only Promote Topical CBD on Your Facebook Page and Facebook Ads?
Since Facebook does not have the capacity to lab test each and every CBD product promoted, marketed, or sold on their platform, they prefer not to allow the marketing of CBD at all on their platform. The main reason is that if a Facebook user was to buy CBD that is not safe and this CBD product harmed them; then Facebook would be at risk of a lawsuit and losing the trust of their users.
The Meta stock would plummet, and shareholders would lose massive amounts of money, hurting the Facebook brand. For Facebook, the reward of advertising and marketing revenue from allowing CBD Facebook ads on their platform is far smaller than the risk of being sued and losing shareholders’ money. Facebook allows topical CBD marketing on their platform because it is not ingestible. The risk of someone being harmed by a non-ingestible CBD product is much lower than an ingestible CBD product.
Even if someone was to purchase CBD on Facebook and get high, that could open Facebook up to the liability of being sued. Topical CBD, on the other hand, has a very small chance of getting someone high, so Facebook allows topical CBD in CBD ads and marketing on Facebook.
How to Get Your Facebook Ads Approved?
What is a CBD Brand Awareness Marketing Campaign on Facebook?
- No risk of having your CBD ad account taken down and having your ads account permanently deleted.
- Capture traffic of an audience that may be having their first encounter and interest in CBD. You can capture this audience’s attention and convert them later into loyal customers that trust and believe in your CBD company. Long-term increases revenue and lifetime revenue for your company.
- Increase recall of your brand, which long-term captures market share of the CBD market.
- It will take a long time before you start seeing a return on investment and converting new customers to your cannabis brand.
- You cannot mention ingestible cannabis anywhere in your ads or on your landing page. You cannot mention products or offer products for sale anywhere in your ads, landing page, or website.
What Does Your Landing Page Have to Do With Getting Your CBD Ads Approved?
Cloaking is the most sustainable method to circumvent Facebook social media guidelines and directly sell CBD and hemp using CBD Facebook advertising. If you are unfamiliar with cloaking, it is a method where you show a user one page and Facebook’s robots another page. This means that when a user clicks your ad, they will be sent to a page where you offer CBD and hemp for sale.
However, when Facebook’s robots click your ad, they will be sent to a page where CBD and hemp are not being offered for sale and are not even mentioned once on the entire page—resulting in Facebook approving your ads and not banning your CBD account. This method is so effective that Facebook could only prevent it by pursuing legal action against a company offering cloaking as a service. The main reason this method is so effective is that the only way to prevent this method is through human review processes, and Facebook does not employ enough humans to review every ad manually.
However, this does come with significantly more risk than just having your ads taken down or your Facebook account permanently banned. CBD brands using cloaking have a huge financial liability because if Facebook catches these CBD brands using cloaking, they will pursue legal action and bleed these brands dry of resources. If you risk going bankrupt to offer CBD and hemp for sale in your ads on Facebook, consider using cloaking. We do not recommend cloaking as the risk is not worth the reward, and there are way more effective sustainable marketing and advertising methods that have far larger ROI than Facebook. Without exposing your cannabis brand to any risk and restrictions by Facebook.
Is there an Alternative to Facebook Marketing to Advertise CBD?
The paid search results do not allow CBD anywhere. Your account will be suspended if you are caught advertising CBD in the paid search results. Paid search results only make up 6% of all clicks, and only paid advertisements only make up 15% of website internet traffic. The only way to generate traffic and revenue from the paid search results is to pay for placement in the paid search results. Over time, your customer acquisition costs only go up as effective paid advertising becomes more expensive.
SEO is the only revenue and traffic generation method with a near infinite return on investment for CBD brands. Unlike paid advertising, even if you stop investing in SEO, the revenue and traffic generated from SEO continue to your website. Over time your SEO investment grows at a compounded rate while your SEO investment stays the same creating exponential returns on investment and increasing the lifetime revenue of a customer.